| - Input File Types Supported by the Distribution Process |
This document describes the different file types supported as input by CRB PowerSystem’s distribution process at the time of this writing. They can be divided into three groups: online data files, PRO format data files, and support files.
- Online data files: .as4, .sto, .spl
- PRO format data files: .pro, .krv, .cot, .stk, .evt
- Support files: .txt, .lst, .pdf, .chm, .pkd, .pki, .xml, .sch
In addition to the above files, the distribution process supports .zip (compressed) files. These are treated just like folders, in other words, the contents are examined and only the supported files inside are used as input. Any file types not listed in this document as supported are simply ignored by CRB PowerSystem.
These are files that are downloaded from the CRB online data service and contain daily data or events (i.e. splits, dividends, earnings) for one or more symbols and the records are ordered chronologically. All online data updates (particularly the daily updates) come from the contents of these files. The file types are:
- .as4: this file type is a fixed width field based text file that contains daily futures data. A detailed description of this file format can be found on the CRB website.
- .sto: this file type is a comma delimited field based text file that contains daily stock and mutual fund data. A detailed description of this file format can be found on the CRB website.
- .spl: this file type is a comma delimited field based text file that contains stock related events such as splits, earnings and dividends. A detailed description of this file can be found on the CRB website.
These are files that contain data or events in Barchart.com’s binary PRO format. Each one of these files contains data for one (and only one) symbol/contract. The distribution process can use these files as input, and can also generate them as output. They are the preferred file type to be used for offline data updates (such as from a CD). The file types are:
- .pro: this file type can contain futures, options or adjusted stock data.
- .krv: this file type contains volatility data.
- .cot: this file type contains commitments of traders information.
- .stk: this file type contains unadjusted (raw) stock data, that is, stock data that has not been adjusted for splits, dividends, or earnings (once adjusted, the data is stored in a .pro file).
- .evt: this file type contains stock related events such as splits, dividends, and earnings.
These are files that do not contain data but contain information that supports in the operation of the CRB PowerSystem applications for the purpose of data distribution, synthetic data generation, data display, and user documentation.
.txt (ASCII text files), .lst (ASCII text files that contain lists of items used by the system), .pdf (Adobe Acrobat), .chm (Windows compiled help files), .xml (XML files, which include all the applications’ configuration files), .pkd (XML based package distribution files), .pki (.XML based data source description files) and .sch (XML based symbol change files). All these file types are simply copied to the CRB application folder with the exception of .sch files.
.sch files contain descriptions of symbol changes (i.e. added, renamed, deleted). PowerDist handles this input by storing these changes into the “symbolchanges.xml” local database and acts on them accordingly by adjusting data as well as other files (such as symbol group files and symbol filter files) accordingly at the time specified in the effective date attribute, until the time specified in the expiration date attribute (if one is specified).